Dear all!
Today I'd like to tell you about the session which I've watched recently.
There were various speakers such as: Analia Duarte, Enrique Barba and Josefina Santana, Kerstin Okubo. The session was called "Forum on Autonomous Listening"
I've chosen this session because I have some problems with listening tasks, and not always can understand some details,so I thought that this video could help me. It did. From this session i've learned some techniques of how to do listening tasks sucessfully and how to understand what a speaker is talking about.
The first technique was introduced by Kertsin Okubo,it was called Academic Listening Circles.
She divided students in groups of four and each of them had their own role. Discourser focused on systemic and referntial discourse markers, analyser negotiated unknown vocabulary and background or cultural knowledge, exemplifier identified examples and connect them to main ideas, leader summurized main ideas. If they did it succesfully they would have a deep understanding of the text and they can contextualize it.
The second technique which I found interesting was about Metacognitive Strategies. It had 3 stages: planning, monitoring and evaluating. Planning included these points which you should do before the listening: to understand what you already know about this topic, analyse the text genre and anticipate words and ideas that you may hear. Monitoring included: evaluate what you understand, check your predictions, accept the fact you don't need to understand every word. Evaulating included: reflect on difficulties( what went wrong while you were listening) and reflect on your success( if strategy worked or not).
I found this session very interesting and useful. It impressed me because I've never heard about these techniques.
So, I'll hope you'll like it!
Hello Julia,
ОтветитьУдалитьthank you for a detailed explanation about the session content. I have found it very informative and well-structured too. I was glad to learn you are going to use the techniques you have enumerated and hope they will help you to improve your listening skills. It would be interesting if you reported on your progress with the development of your listening skills after some time.